Friday, October 08, 2004

a blast of wisdom

I tend to not be drawn to Proverbs 1-9 because in the past it's seemed to me that it had one primary message that I thought I understood: Get wisdom. I often skip right to cp 10.

Lately I've not been feeling terribly wise so a couple of days ago I began at the beginning of this ancient collection. And this morning I realized I'm really missing out by avoiding this portion. e.g.:

Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you;
bind them around your neck;
write them on the tablet of your heart.
So you will find favor and good success
in the sight of God and man.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the Lord and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your flesh
and refreshment to your bones.

Proverbs 3:3-8 (ESV)

No comments: