Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Creative Commons

From seeing the logos on so many websites, I realize I'm very late to the party, but the 'mappers have been discussing proprietary content and that led me to check out the Creative Commons website. I took 5 mins to watch their "Get Creative" Flash-based short which introduces those who surf in to what a Creative Commons license is all about.

In a nutshell - as I now understand it - copyright law is very powerful and does a great job at instantly creating protection for creative material as it is produced. What's not done so well is elaborating for folks exactly how that material may be used. Creative Commons licenses solve that problem by granting free licenses with legal language, regular folks language, and the code to put such notice online.

And I've now added such notification to the content of emergesque!

No comments: