Friday, July 08, 2005

Amazon.com turns 10

This week marks Amazon.com's 10th anniversary.

We interview Amazon.com's CEO Jeff Bezos.

It's difficult for me to believe that a company that - quite frankly - has become such a big part of my life is only a decade old. Amazon.com's Advanced Search Page is one of only 11 Bookmarks in my Firefox Bookmarks Toolbar. Often when I am researching a specific topic, I do a search sorting by most purchased book. I also rely a good bit on the reader reviews. And more and more, I buy used books through Amazon.com.

The other day a friend of mine talked about having a hard time finding a particular book in any local bookstore. I gave a quizzical look; such talk to me is as archaic as complaining that wooden spokes are loose on the covered wagon.

I also find it fascinating that as the cost of information is declining, the previous generation's primary information medium - the book - continues to go on strong. Just as the VCR only increased the appetite for movies in the theatre, despite much hand wringing, so also the internet seems to have increased the appetite for books.

1 comment:

Paul Fromont said...

Stephen, I echo all of your sentiments; isn't it also interesting that we increasingly use it for buying hard to find second hand books too. I wonder if it has to do with the share ease and reliability that AMAZON provide...

Hope all is well with you and yours.