Monday, January 22, 2007

al mohler reflects on his recent medical crisis

"We really are made of dust. We are weak and vulnerable creatures who remain dependent from the moment we are born until the moment we die. We are made of frail stuff -- skin and bones and organs and tissues. A decade ago I was seriously threatened by a microscopic entity -- the flesh-eating bacterium. Necrotizing Fasciitis is a horrible and deadly disease, but God was merciful in allowing me to escape after five days in the hospital. I have never seen Streptococcus pyogenes (not even through a microscope), but it came with intent to kill. We can be turned back to dust by microscopic enemies -- and yet we feel ourselves to be so strong and self-sufficient. Until, that is, we find we are not.

Just before the crisis hit, I felt great. We had big plans for Christmas and some calm days after the celebration. All that was changed in a matter of hours. I went from strong to hopelessly weak. I went from being in command of my world to being unable to care for myself in a matter of hours. I had no expertise that could help; no medical knowledge that mattered. I was in the immediate hands of the surgeon and the medical staff. I had no control."

- mohler's full post

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed Al's audio messages. Thanks for this exit off the Internet website highway.