Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Remembering a Life
















"Thank you, Daddy. Thank you for sixty-one years of faithfulness to me. I am simply looking into his face now. Thank you. You were a good father. You never put me down. Discipline, yes. Spankings, yes. But you never scorned me. You never treated me with contempt. You never spoke of my future with hopelessness in your voice. You believed God’s hand was on me. You approved of my ministry. You prayed for me. Everyday. That may be the biggest change in these new days: Daddy is no longer praying for me."

- Bill Piper, John Piper's Dad, died yesterday. Read John's full reflection here from his journal.

John's also written his father's obituary here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Steve! I'm reading Piper's 'When I Don't Desire God' now.

My folks are 80 and I know time is running short. It's such a heavy topic. Our culture is so shallow regarding parents and death and all of that. My friend's father passed a month ago.

Life's a vapor.