- Brett Kunkle of Stand to Reason posts a critique of Emergent Village and expresses concerns with the emerging church. Brent also gave this paper at the recent meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society.
- Tony Jones refers to it at the Emergent Village blog under the title "Giving Thanks for Thoughtful Critics."
- Tony mentions on Theoblogy (seemingly favorably) a critique of Kunkle's paper that he presents straw man arguments .
- Roger Overton - on the A-Team Blog - posts his concerns about the nature of the conversation he sees between Emergent and her critics.
- And Tony Jones has now engaged Roger in public conversation on Roger's blog.
- UPDATE (11/28/06 - 3:52 pm ET): Tony Jones posts a response to Brett's paper.
- UPDATE (11/29/06 - 9:41 am ET): The conversation continues with Tony Jones in comments on Justin Taylor's blog
- UPDATE (11/29/06 - 9:44 AM ET): My comments on these kinds of conversations.
- UPDATE (11/29/06 - 5:04 PM ET): In comments on Tony's blog, Brett Kunkle comments"
Tone down the rhetoric just a bit. Tony and I don't think theological disagreement (no matter how serious) and friendship are mutually exclusive. Indeed, we just had a good conversation on the phone this morning.
So, let's be careful not to attack people--their character or motives--in this conversation. Instead, let's stick to the theological ideas and doctrinal views. And at the end of the day, we'll go have a beer together and talk some more...
- UPDATE (11/30/06 - 8:18 PM): This'll be my last update on this topic. You can find more conversation by checking out the comments sections of the blogs listed above. I do, however, want to draw attention to Justin Taylor's recent update to his suggestion that Tony is inconsistent.